31 August 2011

Nikson's Flat

this may have taken me a while, but i will have you know it's been well worth it and you will benefit greatly from knowing that the process of putting this room together was so fun and rather inexpensive. i waited patiently for the right pieces. There is a story behind most of the pieces and although it has taken me six months to put it together, i am extremely happy with the result and confident my baby boy has a little man cave. so without further adieu, the flat.






The color scheme was grays, black and white, tomato red, and mustard yellow. I wanted a mountain man feel, but not a log cabin look. No trout stuck onto the wall or a log crib. We wanted it to be really simple. 

The stripes were painted by myself and friend, Natalie. The base color is Valspar's Tempered Gray and the dark stripes are in the same family. The unanimous vote was to make a bold contrast stripe, but you can tone it down it you want. 


The mobile was made by myself from an aspen branch in our yard and Crate and Barrel's metallic leaves. I just sewed them and tied them on. 

The rocker is actually a family piece. My mom got it 35 years ago when my brother Mike was born and I talked her into letting me have it. I think she was reluctant, but I don't even think Mike knows! The buffalo checked blanket was made by a lady in my ward and the pillow by my friend Nat.



The owl lamp pretty much started me on this theme. It was a gift and I have been in love with him. A little Tim Burton looking i think. Target carried it. A picture of baby's mom and dad and the Draper LDS Temple keep the nightstand simple. The nightstand was bought at DownEast for $7 and painted with a cherry tomato paint and I am not sure of the brand.


I made the drapes, but don't get excited. I am no seamstress and they are crooked, but they serve their purpose and the fabric is cute. (Joann's)




The plaid quilt was a gift. It was actually tied at my ward baby shower and made by some very dear friends.



The dresser was a complete steal off ksl.com. Posted for $275 and we got it for $180. I looked everywhere for a nine drawer and everything was too expensive. I love the color and how modern looking it is.

Little Tongue Stickin Out. So cute!

The story of the bookcase will blow your mind. When we moved into this house our back porch had this old beat up trunk that was used for outdoor storage. I washed it out, bleached it, and took the top off. Voila, an awesome, rustic bookcase... for free! I put in tons of different pieces from different times in our lives. The nesting dolls are a gift from Grandma Audrey, a case of used thank you cards from when we were married, old books I grew up with, and rock and twig from camping. The bear is from Blake's mission. Thanks Matty. I got the vintage "3" from Details in Sugarhouse and the elephant bank was a gift from UO.


I found this darling baby to adorn the floors and the crib at night. he cost me a few pounds and some late nights, but totally worth it.


artwork in the room has really been fun to find. Etsy sells the dapper reindeer prints and I got the Sacred Grove picture a while ago for Christmas. The moustache print was made by myself in CS5. the pictures of the baby were taken by our friend Tyson. The frame around the initials was bought for $2 at a garage sale and painted yellow (Southern Glow by Benjamin Moore) The letters were gifts from UO. (B= Bret N= Nikson, yada yada). the Jesus and boy print is a Greg Olson and one of my favorites. I have a couple more ideas for artwork in the future, but I just really felt like it needed to be simple, fun, and inspiring.



the antlers are actually kind of a fun thing. i know there are some of you who don't like hunting and killing animals, but i happen to have a father-in-law who does so you may have to just skip this part. Nikson was named after his grandpa, Bret and so to celebrate that, we hung antlers from one of his hunts. so yes, they are real and i am sure that sweet little woodland creature is in a far more beautiful place, frolicking in a meadow filled with poppy's.

I have two more small projects to finish out the room. A chalkboard door by the bookshelf and a palate wall shelf. Those will be for another time, when I find the time. I need a rug and most likely it will be a faux polar bear one, but that's just my brain storming.

I have loved creating this place. I am excited for Nikson to be "sent to timeout" because he will at least like to be there. let me know if you have any questions.

LOL- Lots of Love (Garrett:)


Photos done by Allyssa Zemke.



8 comments:

  1. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! His room is so rad! You need a second company called "perfect decorator" or "perfect designs" You are so talented!!! I am in love with everything!!! Please help me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mamie. You have it in you girl! I know you do. I also miss you. the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, love it! Just wanted to let you know that IKEA sells a faux white fur rug if you were looking for one. Comes in large and small

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've come across from Project Nursery.....what a gorgeous and unique room! I have a blog at www.nestdesignstudioblog.blogspot.com and was wondering if it would be ok to feature it? my email is insidecolour(at)bigpond(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love the nursery! It's nice to see the owl lamp in a photo other than on target. Now, I can get a feel for the size, etc. and I can't wait to order it online. I also like the deer antlers, I may have to pick the one up that I saw at Hobby Lobby and spray paint it white...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry-
    DO IT! I debated about painting those bad boys white and they would be fabulous. Post it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is your paint color for the walls? I LOVE this nursery! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete