27 March 2010

Più luminoso fino al giorno perfetto



I am taking a class at school called Foundations of Learning. It has become a course that has taught me a lot about myself and who I want to be. We read chapter's on what the Brethren of the LDS Church think of the school I go to and about certain principles that pertain to education and greater discipleship of Christ. My oh so enlightened professor complies quotes and talks and then allows us to respond. Yesterdays' reading brought me to this point...


I first want to say how much I love President Hinckley. Everyone has “their prophet” that they connect with the best and he is mine. I have had my testimony grow so much from what he has taught me. I felt like his teachings were always directly involved with the youth and our success. I think what most impressed me from the reading is what President Hinckley said, “Acquire all of the education that you can, even if it means great sacrifice.… You will bless the lives of your children. You will bless the Church because you will reflect honor to this work.” You never really think of school as a way to reflect honor, but what better way to represent the church than to be a well-rounded, educated person who knows what they are talking about. It seems as though many feel the need to let their education slip through their fingers, when in all reality it is education that will give us a sure grip on life and our experiences.

I think my biggest desire after reading this chapter is trying to implement the scripture President Hinckley quoted, “That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light growth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.” I want to put it on a plaque for my kid’s school area (when we have kids). I think the biggest thing for me to learn is that I have to keep learning no matter what. When I am not in school I am learning a trade or some type of craft…something to expand my mind and help me to become a stronger individual. I love learning and learning new things has become quite exhilarating for me. I am now trying to fill my mind with learning anything at all times.

Last night we went out with our friends, Noah and Allyssa. Noah graduated with a bachelor’s in Business and is now renting cars for a living. He was saying how all his hard work at school has yet to pay off. He wants to be able to set his own schedule, go into work and make phone calls to clients, and figure out ways to market other people’s companies. (If anyone knows of a good marketing firm let me know, he is sharp) The topic then turned to our Generation Y attitude of instant gratification and how nobody wants to put in the hours it takes to become successful. Everything in our lives is instant. Text messaging, emails, Facebook®, it probably all started when the microwave was invented! I think our age has decided walking uphill both ways in the snow is over-rated and there is a better way to be successful, and I have been guilty of those thoughts myself. I think the Lord made learning a challenge so that we can stretch ourselves. Evaluate and make new limits for ourselves. This life is about stretching and increasing, progressing and exalting; all these are words that lift us to a higher level of living, but they are words that involve the action and procedure. The idea of the Gen Y is to be innovative and creative without having a 12 year old schedule when people tell us when to be there, when to leave, and when to take lunch. It is the desire to manage our own time rather than have a manager. BUT if we are to get to that point we need to have the edge, not just think we do. President Hinckley said, “You face great challenges that lie ahead. You are moving into a world of fierce competition. You must get all the education you can.” It is through educating our minds that we become the person we desire to be. It is easy to go out one summer and sell pest control, make thousands of dollars in one summer, but will that be what you do for the rest of your life? I hope not! Money is not that important. An elder I served my mission with has come home from his mission feeling like a superstar, he drives the fanciest cars and wears the most expensive clothes. His idea of success is driven by the desire for material goods. His work ethic hasn’t turned into the need to learn and become, but the need to dominant the plastic world. It is said. In contrast, my brother-in-law is going to be an optometrist. He has been working hard at getting high grades so that he can have an advantage in this competitive world. This summer he will take his family to Colorado to sell pest control so that his little family can have some savings while he is bombarded with classes at his school in Portland. Are they driving fancy cars? Nope. Do they wear designer clothes? No, (but I must say my niece and nephew always look very cute) He understands the need to provide, but he also values knowledge and education. He has been a great example to me of what stretching ourselves needs to be like. Education is not something you can substitute with money. In the years to come it will become harder to hide the fact that someone has not educated themselves. We must learn and value the process. If the desire is not there, hopefully the desire to follow the prophet will be!




If you would like a copy of this week's read just leave your email in my comments. I was very impressed with what was said.



No comments:

Post a Comment